No Chocolate for Australian Labradoodles

by

Keep Chocolate Treats Away from Your Australian Labradoodle Dogs and Puppies

Dr. Arun, Summit Blvd Animal Hospital, Veterinarian Breeding Specialist

Chocolate poisoning is more common during the holidays when chocolate candies and foods are readily available. Chocolate is highly palatable and available in most homes during the holidays.

But the methylzanthine alkaloids present in chocolate cause poisoning and can be deadly. It’s predominantly a hazard to dogs, especially puppies and young dogs, but it’s also toxic to cats.

These alkaloids cause constriction of the blood vessels to the brain; heart and muscle con- fractions; central nervous system stimulation; vomiting; diarrhea and seizures.

Different chocolate products have different levels of methylzanthine and so cause different degrees of poisoning. These are the methylxanthine levels of the most common chocolate products.

Products (mg. per ounce)
Cacao bean 400 – 1,500
Baking chocolate 450
Semi-sweet chocolate 260
Milk chocolate 60
Hot chocolate 12
White chocolate 1

The minimum lethal dose ranges from 100-200 milligrams per kilogram of body weight. A pound of milk chocolate or four ounces of baking chocolate could be deadly to a 16 pound dog.

Early signs of poisoning to look for include vomiting, diarrhea, excessive urination, stiffness, excitement and seizures.

Symptoms of advanced poisoning include low body temper- attire, rigidity 61 muscles, rapid heartbeat, low blood pressure, weakness, heart failure, coma and death.

To prevent poisoning, keep all chocolate out of reach of pets. In case of poisoning, call your veterinarian immediately. Your veterinarian will probably tell you to induce vomiting if your pet is not having seizures. This is usually done by giving the pet hydrogen peroxide. Give your pet 2 milliliters per pound of body weight.

One teaspoon contains 5 milliliters. One tablespoon contains 15 milliliters. For example, if your pet weighs 20 pounds, you will give him about a tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide. Using a syringe (both hydrogen peroxide and an oral syringe should be part of your pet emergency kit) may be the easiest way to administer the peroxide. Remember that your pet will begin vomiting so be ready with old towels!

If your pet is having seizures or is unconscious, you’ll need to transport your pet to the emergency clinic where the veterinarian will use a stomach wash, IV fluids and medications to treat the effects of the poison.

We strongly recommend that you take preventative measures to protect your pet during the holidays. Put that chocolate away!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: